Parents sue drug maker after daughter with cerebral palsy dies ‘from overdose of Botox injected off-label to treat spasms’

2791BB1A00000578-3038522-image-a-4_1429046205749
Susan and Mike Fortuna of Shelburne, Vermont say their daughter Mandy suffered an unexplained health deterioration soon after treatment
The parents learned their daughter had been treated by the same doctor who previously caused a 7-year-old boy to overdose, lawyers say
In that case, Botox maker Allergan was forced to pay the family nearly $7million

Poisoned by Botox? Mike and Susan Fortuna, of Shelburne are accusing Allergan of failing to warn of dangers, negligence and breach of the Vermont Consumer Fraud Act in treating their daughter, Mandy
The parents of a Vermont woman who died last year have sued Botox maker Allergan, saying off-label treatment of her spams caused by cerebral palsy with Botox contributed to her death.
Mike and Susan Fortuna, of Shelburne, sued last week, accusing Allergan of failing to warn of dangers, negligence and breach of the Vermont Consumer Fraud Act in treating their 21-year-old daughter, Mandy Fortuna.
In November, a Vermont jury awarded a New York family $6.75 million in their lawsuit against Allergan. Their lawyer said 7-year-old Joshua Drake developed epilepsy after getting Botox injections for his leg spasms caused by cerebral palsy.
Joshua and Fortuna were treated by the same doctor, Dr. Scott Benjamin of Burlington, Vermont.
The last set of injections occurred on September 5, 2014, approximately three weeks prior to her death, according to a press release put out last week by the Fortunas’ attorneys.
The Fortunas claim their daughter suffered an unexplained deterioration in her health after from Dr. Benjamin.
‘She was continually gagging and choking, unable to clear her secretions,’ reads the complaint. ‘Her breathing was shallow and Mandy had trouble holding her head up. She began to experience seizures or seizure-like spells.’
The cause of death was not entirely conclusive and was ruled as atypical pneumonia, a common complication associated with Botox overdoses, according to their sui

Author: disabledaccessdenied

I am a disabled woman who through no fault of my own has wheels under my ass. I rely on the decency and common sense of local, state and federal goverments, as well as the retail community to abide by the disabled access laws and provide adequate ramps, disabled toilets, and not use them as store rooms or broom closets. This blog exists to find the offenders and out them, inform them, and report them if necessary and shame them into doing the right thing when all else fails.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s